We are a group of united people, from all walks of Delaware, that has the goal of pushing forward on a path to change our state, and point it in the right direction. We are not working as Democrats, Progressives, Independents, or Republicans, but as a united group of like-minded people who want to be involved, who want to step up and who want to change our local politics and make Delaware the state it must become.
- There is no requirement to be a member in terms of party affiliation guidelines, and there is no exclusion based solely on the offered support to any one candidate in the past.
- The only prerequisite is the desire to get involved and to become a voice for change.
- We are a group focused on the common ground issues that we feel should be on the forefront of every election, debate, forum, and speech that our candidates and representatives give.
- We are here to help Progressive candidates win elections. This is how we can change Delaware to what we know that it can and should, and it starts by working together.
- Even after elections, we are committed to pushing forward on these issues and to hold our representatives accountable.
- Real change can only be achieved through organized, political action and well founded strategies that generates momentum from the bottom on up. When everyone has a means of participation in the political process, from start to finish.
- We believe that in order to see change, we must be a part of that change. We are fighting to help reform the Delaware Democratic Party, and to that effort we highly encourage members to join their local political organizations. Whether they be your local Representative District committees, attending City/County Council meetings, or by joining local political activist groups like “The Network Delaware,” “UUDAN,” or “Common Cause Delaware,” everyone has a place they can initiate change. We have already made major progress by contributing heavily to the updated draft of the Party Platform, Submitted all but one of the finalized resolutions for the State Party, and are working hard to get major rule changes that would open the party up to more people and reactivate over a hundred thousand independent voters across Delaware.
There are many things that we, as a country, will never fully agree on because there is not one ultimate answer; mostly these non-unifying issues are based in morality and ethics, rather than legality. However, there are many things that are common ground amongst multiple political parties that the majority of Americans, no matter what your religious, political, or ethical beliefs are, can agree on. These are the issues we focus on. However, we are a local organization that works on local policy. We do not take sides in national elections. Nor do we focus on national issues. This has been a strong tenant since day one, and has kept our focus on the issues closest to home. All of our lives can be made better if we stand up, take responsibility, and help each other take back our local government and make sure that it represents all of us; especially on the ideals that we can all agree on.
Want to join Delaware United and help create the changes you seek in our state?
We have many different initiatives that you can do to help us in our goal of reshaping Delaware Politics! Right now we are recruiting people to join one of our four base Squads that are working on different fronts to help build on the momentum of the past year. We are looking for help so we can keep the pressure on the elected officials for the current legislative session and volunteers to help us win big during the coming election season!
We are forming a few “squads” to take action. Please see the list with brief descriptions below. We’d love to have you as a part of one (or more!) of our squads. Because we’re all busy, regular meetings will be kept to a minimum. Much of our work will take place via Facebook Instant messenger and conference calls. If you are interested in joining one or more of our squads, please reply to this email, and be sure to include the name you use on Facebook. Very soon, one of our squad leaders will reach out to you.
The Activism Squad involves planning and participating in “boots on the ground” activities such as canvassing, phone-banking, protesting, marching, and attending other groups’ meetings.
The Outreach Squad will reach out to DU members, and others, to help us achieve our goals–through social media, email, this squad will do things like writing/editing posts, emails, op-eds, letters to the editor, and working with the events squad to coordinate efforts to bring new people into the process.
The Events Squad will create and coordinate DU events like educational forms, documentary film nights, and nights with elected officials, and keep an eye out for other groups’ events in which DU members may be interested.
The Research Squad will focus on preparing us for the 2018 mid-term elections, researching candidates, watching legislation, developing elected officials’ “report cards,” and researching local elections.
Most work can be done at home during spare time online, so there is no predetermined time required for participation in a squad (if you have time to respond to a text, you can be of assistance). The more people we have in a squad, the less that everyone is required to do. If we have 4 editors in the outreach squad, everyone can take turns based on availability at the time needed; instead of one editor having to do everything. Also, meetings are only held in person as needed, based on the people in that squad; there isn’t a set meeting time that is required on a regular basis.
This is a real chance to prepare now for what’s to come, and an opportunity to keep engaging new people and bringing them into the resistance.
What have we done so far?
Delaware United has been very busy at work over the past year! Here is a list of some of our accomplishments in 2017:
People’s Report Screening
Gender Revolution Screening and Forum
13th Film Screening and Forum
Appearance on the local broadcasting station, on the “Delaware Way”
Rebuttal piece against republican claiming that progressives are to blame for everything
Editorial Piece about HB 204: Reforming Our Criminal Justice System
Editorial featuring new groups bringing people into the process and changing the Dem party
Multiple Letter to the Editors
Stephanie Hansen’s Special Election – Canvassing, Phone Banking, and WINNING!!
Candidate Forum for State Party Positions
Delaware Democratic Party Rules/Platform/Resolutions suggestions
Equality March 2017
Co-Hosted Protect DACA Rally in Rodney Square
Co-Hosted March for Racial Justice
Spoke out at Red Clay Safe School Policy Meetings (Measure Passed)
Delaware United reached over 1,200 likes on FB and 500 on Twitter reaching over 12k people on one post.
***Delaware United is an Our Revolution Affiliate. No data compiled from Delaware United is shared with any outside entity, including Our Revolution (OR). OR supplies Delaware United with various tools at the agreement that we will include their branding on certain documents and that endorsement proceedings will be subject to submission post fact to OR. ***